Lend your voice to hunger-ending policies that will make a meaningful difference in your neighbors' lives.
Support the Child Nutrition Reauthorization
With our federal nutrition programs — specifically, our child nutrition programs — we can help end child hunger which affects one in four Central Texas children. As Congress renews these programs during the Child Nutrition Reauthorization in September, you have an opportunity to advocate for some really good ideas.
Read our blog to learn what ideas we support.
Send a letter to your elected official to show your support.
Share your story with us. Legislators are always looking for real examples they can share while debating and advocating for this legislation. Your personal story can make a difference.
Support the America Gives More Act, H.R. 644
This bipartisan bill has the potential to increase the amount of food we distribute to families at risk of hunger. Please call your members of Congress in support of this bill using our toll-free number, (888) 398-8702. Simply listen to the pre-recorded message and enter your zip code when prompted to be connected to your legislators. Learn more.
Advocacy Resources for You
Focusing on specific public policy priorities, we inform decision makers at every level of government about hunger in their community and their role in ending hunger.
Preserving and protecting federal nutrition programs that nourish hungry Central Texans makes it easier for us to provide quality service to our community. We regularly communicate with elected officials about the impact the Farm Bill, Child Nutrition Reauthorization and the federal budget has on our operations and the families we serve.
Child Nutrition Reauthorization Act (CNR)
The funding and guidelines for summer meals, school lunch, after-school meal programs WIC (the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children) are all decided in this act. Due to expire at the end of September 2015, CNR is our opportunity to improve the way we nourish future generations, improve long-term health and effectively combat child hunger.
Our priorities are to support Feeding America’s policy recommendations:
- Make it easier for community partners and food banks to provide kids with meals during the summer and weekends.
- Reduce administrative barriers for community partners and food banks to support and participate in programs.
- Build capacity for community partners and food banks by using schools and their resources beyond the school hours.
- Improve the meal quality and nutrition of federal nutrition programs to increase participation by women and children.
Because we’re conveniently located in the state capital, we make it our priority to work closely with the Texas Legislature during session, providing testimony in hearings, serving as an expert resource and advocating for policies to make our state hunger-free and healthy.
Texas Legislative Session 2015
The Texas Legislature meets on odd-numbered years and begins January 13, 2015.
Our priorities are to support Feeding Texas (formerly the Texas Food Bank Network) goals for the legislative session:
- Strengthen opportunities for Texas farmers, ranchers and hunters to bring Texas food to Texas families in need.
- Reduce hunger, improve health outcomes and ease the strain on food banks by increasing food stamp enrollment among qualified Texans.
- Reduce the barriers to accessing and affording healthy foods in rural and targeted neighborhoods across the state.
- Partner with organizations advocating for improved financial stability and health of low-income Texans.
Our Track Record
We champion good ideas, good policies and good investments that broaden healthy food opportunities for the families who turn to us for help. You play an important role in our success by sharing your stories and raising awareness about the hunger crisis in our community. We couldn’t win these battles without you. Read how your voice has contributed to our success.
More Ways You Can Take Action
Add your voice to ours and strengthen the growing movement to end hunger.
- Be a witness to hunger. We need your help to get beyond the sound bites and stereotypes to show how hunger is affecting real people. Your story has the power to help others know that they’re not alone. Inspire compassion and action by sharing your story with us. Submit your story on our contact form, or request to have our specially-trained story gatherers reach out to you. Se habla español.
- Share the research studies. We work with experts to analyze the hunger crisis in our community and provide you with easy to use information about Central Texas and each of the 21 counties we serve.
- Invite us to speak at your next event. We can bring awareness, education and advocacy workshops, trainings and discussion groups to you.
One Strong, United Voice
We coordinate and collaborate with leading organizations dedicated to improving Americans' health and nutrition:
- Feeding America
- Food and Research Action Center (FRAC)
- Texas Association of Nonprofit Organizations (TANO)
- Texans Care for Children
- Feeding Texas (formerly the Texas Food Bank Network)
- Texas Health Institute
- Texas Hunger Initiative (THI)
- Austin Chamber of Commerce
- City of Austin/Travis County Sustainable Food Policy Board
- Community Action Network
- One Voice Central Texas