Capital Area Food Bank of Texas

Join Us Online
Receive special news and manage your giving online.
What's this?
Hunger Fact:

Social Services Outreach

Contact Us (se habla español)

Call 512-684-2550 or toll-free 1-855-684-2550 schedule an appointment online.

CAFB's Social Services Outreach Department (SSOD) coordinators provide phone and in-person consultations for families and individuals in need of social services assistance. In partnership with Texas Health and Human Services, SSOD coordinators educate community members on state-administered and federally-funded social services and health care programs:

  • SNAP (food stamps)
  • Children's Mediciaid
  • Medicaid for adults
  • CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program)
  • CHIP Perinatal Program
  • TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
  • Women's Health Program (family planning and health screenings)

SSOD outreach workers help in several ways:

  • explaining social services programs
  • filling out applications completely and correctly
  • delivering completed applications to HHSC
  • following up on applications
  • advocating on behalf of applicants

Program Descriptions

Our Impact in FY 2012-13

Social Services Outreach Program submitted 1,415 applications for 1,774 programs and provided information on Food Bank services and SNAP eligibility to more than 25,472 individuals.

SNAP (Food Stamps)

SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), formerly known as food stamps, is a nutrition program that helps individuals and families meet basic nutritional needs and afford a balanced diet. Benefits are loaded each month on an EBT card — the Lone Star Card — that can be used at grocery stores, convenience stores and some farmers markets. SNAP is a federal program (not welfare) that enables eligible individuals to receive benefits up to $200 per person or a minimum of $16 per month. Citizenship is not necessarily required and an individual's immigration status may not disqualify the household from receiving SNAP.

SNAP Application
[English] [Español]

Documents Needed for the SNAP Application
[English] [Español]


Medicaid is a jointly funded state-federal health and long-term care program that makes it possible for low income individuals to get the care they need to get healthy and stay healthy. Medicaid covers families, children, pregnant women, older adults and disabled individuals who meet the income guidelines. Legal residents who are not U.S. citizens are not eligible for Medicaid. Medicaid recipients use a Your Texas Benefits Medicaid card when they visit a doctor or dentist, clinic or pharmacy for Medicaid services. Medicaid is an entitlement program, which means eligible people are automatically covered.

Medicaid Application Form
[English] [Español]

Do you have more than 5 people applying for benefits?
You can print and fill out this extra page for the “People Applying for Benefits” section of the application (H1010 - Section H – pages 4 and 5).
[English] [Español]

Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) provides health coverage for children in families that earn too much to qualify for Medicaid, but cannot afford private health care coverage. Texas residents who are pregnant, uninsured and do not qualify for Medicaid may qualify for CHIP perinatal benefits. To qualify for CHIP or Children’s Medicaid, a child must be 18 or younger, a Texas resident and a U.S citizen or legal permanent resident. The citizenship or immigration status of the parents does not affect the children’s eligibility and is not reported on the application form.

CHIP Application
[English] [Español]

CHIP Perinatal Program
[English] [Español]

Women’s Health Program

The Medicaid Women’s Health Program provides low-income women between 18 and 44 who are not pregnant, but still able to have children with family planning exams, related health screenings and birth control through Texas Medicaid. Income eligible Texas residents without family planning health services who are US citizens or those with legal residency status may qualify. Services are free of charge.

WHP Application
[English] [Español]

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

The federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) block grant provides Texas with funds to help families living below the poverty line with self-sufficiency through job preparation and employment services, child care, child protective services and cash assistance. Qualified families may receive a monthly cash grant through the Lone Star Card or a one-time cash assistance grant, along with other emergency services Families are required to sign a Personal Responsibility Agreement. 

TANF Application
[English] [Español]

SSOD is made possible in part by a grant from the Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC).

The U.S Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usdagov/complaint filing cust.htrnl, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER